“…I first off wanted to say, WOW!…”
Which Courses can I take with a Tutor?
You can take any of our courses with an English tutor. You can also select to work on specific language skills that will help you feel more confident about communicating in English:
* English as a Second Language levels 1-12
* Beginner English
* Intermediate English
* Advanced English
* Professional English
* Business English
* CELPIP General Training
* IELTS Academic Preparation
* IELTS General Preparation
A Typical Class
Most classes start with general conversation about your recent activities. You may describe something you’ve made, somewhere you’ve been, or something you’ve done since the last class. The ‘chat’ is usually followed by grammar practice of a structure that you or your tutor has identified as needing improvement. Next, you’ll often watch a three minute video to give your brain a short break, but that break is followed by intense verbal practice of the day’s grammar structure as you describe the video.
During the second part of your class the focus is usually on listening and writing. You’ll listen to a passage, listen again for specific words, and identify any new vocabulary. You’ll then use that new vocabulary in a written exercise that reviews the day’s grammar structure.
You’ll leave the class with a reminder to ‘take your structure for a walk’. To maximize your progress, we suggest using the day’s structure to describe everything you see, smell, hear, feel, and touch as you meander through a mall, roam around a park, or walk through your home.
The Advantages of Working With an English Tutor
There are several advantages to working with an English tutor. You:
* Move at your own speed because there’s no-one in the classroom taking up all of the teacher’s time
* Receive lots of individual help. We often help students with resumes, personal statements, letters, and mock interviews as well as grammar, pronunciation etc.
* Maximize conversation opportunities. There’s no-one competing or waiting for you to finish speaking
* Get customized classes that target the things you need, and want, to work on
* Waste very little of your time
* Schedule your classes to fit your busy life
The Disadvantages of Working With an English Tutor
There are a few disadvantages to working with a private tutor:
* Cost – individual classes cost more, but with the speed of improvement the final total is often cheaper than for group classes
* Social opportunities are minimal. You may only see other students on your way to and from classes
* Classes move at your speed and can sometimes feel very intense
Scheduling and Paying for your classes
You can schedule your classes for the same time every week, or you can schedule your class each week.
How many Classes?
Some people take just one class to boost their confidence before a test or an interview, others take a couple of classes a week for several years, especially when they find there’s little opportunity to speak to native English speakers.
Typically, your total number of classes depends on:
* The gap between what you know and want to achieve
* How much of the work you prefer, or are able, to do alone
* How quickly you learn
* Your budget.
During your free assessment we’ll discuss your goals, set targets and estimate how long you will need to study to achieve your goal.
When you reach your goal, we’ll celebrate your success with a certificate of completion.
Please call/text Angela at 403-350-8709 for more information.
ESL Red Deer’s English Classes offer:
#201, 4909 – 48 Street.