“…I first off wanted to say, WOW!…”
Which Courses can I take with a Tutor?
You can take any of our courses with an English tutor. You can also select to work on specific language skills that will help you feel more confident about communicating in English:
* English as a Second Language levels 1-12
* Beginner English
* Intermediate English
* Advanced English
* Professional English
* Business English
* CELPIP General Training
* IELTS Academic Preparation
* IELTS General Preparation
A Typical Class with a CELPIP Tutor
Most classes with your CELPIP Tutor start with general conversation about your recent activities. You may describe something you’ve made, somewhere you’ve been, or something you’ve done since the last class. The ‘chat’ is usually followed by grammar practice of a structure that you or your tutor has identified as needing improvement. Next, you’ll often watch a three minute video to give your brain a short break, but that break is followed by intense verbal practice of the day’s grammar structure as you describe the video.
During the second part of your class with a CELPIP tutor, the focus is usually on listening and writing. You’ll listen to a passage, listen again for specific words, and identify any new vocabulary. You’ll then use that new vocabulary in a written exercise that reviews the day’s grammar structure.
You’ll end the class with a reminder to ‘take your structure for a walk’. To maximize your progress, your CELPIP tutor will suggest using the day’s structure to describe everything you see, smell, hear, feel, and touch as you meander through a mall, roam around a park, or walk through your home.
The Advantages of Working With a CELPIP Tutor
There are several advantages to working with a CELPIP tutor. You:
* Move at your own speed because there’s no-one in the classroom taking up all of the teacher’s time
* Receive lots of individual help.
* Maximize conversation opportunities. There’s no-one competing or waiting for you to finish speaking
* Get customized classes that target the things you need, and want, to work on
* Waste very little of your time
* Schedule your classes to fit your busy life
The Disadvantages of Working With a CELPIP Tutor
There are a few disadvantages to working with a CELPIP tutor:
* Cost – individual classes cost more, but with the speed of improvement the final total is often cheaper than for group classes
* Social opportunities are minimal. You may only see other students on your way to and from classes
* Classes move at your speed and can sometimes feel very intense
How many Classes?
During your free assessment you and your CELPIP tutor will talk about the score you need to achieve in your CELPIP test. Your tutor will ask you a series of questions designed to identify your level and any gaps that need to be filled to get you to your desired score. Your tutor will then estimate how many classes you will need to take.
Typically, your total number of classes depends on:
* The gap between what you know and want to achieve
* How much of the work you prefer, or are able, to do alone
* How quickly you learn
* Your budget.
Scheduling classes with your CELPIP Tutor
You can schedule your classes for the same time every week, or you can schedule your class at different times each week.
You can pay for your class using debit, e-transfer, credit card, Paypal, cheques, or cash, but all classes must be paid for at the time of scheduling.
Please call/text Angela at 403-350-8709 for more information.
ESL Red Deer’s English Classes offer:
#201, 4909 – 48 Street.