How to Summarize an IELTS Academic Task 1 Graph
On this page, you’ll find some tips to help you prepare your summary for an IELTS Academic Task 1 graph.
The video provides some ideas about how to think about paraphrasing the question.
Paste your essay into the comments box below for a free score.
Restating the question.
“…not only did I get the score I needed, but I
earned a score useful in my career…”
IELTS Task 1 Writing Tips
These IELTS Task 1 writing tips show you the basic structure you should follow when presenting information depicted in a graph.
1. Start by restating the question. Don’t just turn the words around! Don’t just replace the words with synonyms. Think about what the sentence is saying and then say the same thing in your own words.
2. Next, write an overview. It’s worth about 25% of your mark so this step is critical. Don’t include any details in your overview. Imagine looking at the graph from the other side of the room and telling me what you can see.
3. Next, write a topic sentence that tells me about the first trend you can see. Now write the details, with numbers, that explain your topic sentence. If you see an opportunity to compare – use it!
4. Next, write a topic sentence that tells me about the second trend you can see. Now write the details, with numbers, that explain your topic sentence. If you see an opportunity to compare – use it!
5. And finally, write a concluding sentence that summarizes the main trends. It may be very similar to the overview, but the wording should be different.
IELTS Line Graph Vocabulary
Can you identify which column each of these IELTS line graph vocabulary words belong in?